Tuesday, January 26, 2010

My Last Hours of Mobility

After hearing the lullaby, I called the nurse to ask her about my non epidural medication solutions. I was expecting to see Serenity, but she was accompanied by another nurse. She informed me that her shift was coming to an end, and that Nurse C. would be taking care of me. Then I said goodbye to Serenity, and natural child birth, and hello to options for pain medication. Nurse C. and I decided to try a light narcotic. I would still be able to walk, and sit in the jacuzzi, and if I could get enough rest, I might be able to go through active labor without anything else. She came back a few minutes later, placed an I.V. and gave me the narcotic. As it entered my vein it felt cold, then things began to get a little fuzzy.
Warning! From this point on the events may not be exactly what happened, but rather, my perception of what I think happened.
Nurse C. came back five minutes later, and she asked me how the contractions felt, if they were any less painful. My exact words were,"No, the contractions are still very painful, but I don't seem to care anymore." She laughed and said the the drugs were definitely working. Soon I got up again, and went for another walk. The lullaby played again. I asked my mom if she heard it too. She did! What? Someone who came in after me already had a baby? This was surprisingly funny. We laughed all the way back to the room. Soon my doctor came in to check things out, and she felt it might be time to break my water. She said it might speed things up a little, and it should make the contractions stronger. I said to go ahead.
When my water broke, I felt relief, a lot of pressure was gone.
I didn't think I would be able to go back in the jacuzzi, but I was wrong my doctor said it would be fine, so I went back into tub, Then I had another contraction, and this one, still in my back seemed to knock the air right out of me. I told myself to remain calm, and quiet, and breath deeply until it was over. I made it. This was active labor for sure. I sat in the tub for a few more minutes, and was hit with another contraction. This one left me shaking. I told my husband to call Nurse C., and I got out of the tub. I was drying off when I heard Nurse C.'s rough, but loving voice say,"Where's my girl, what does she need?" My husband said that I was just getting out of the jacuzzi, and They had no idea why I needed her. I walked out of the bathroom, and said,"To Hell with it C., I want some real drugs!" She laughed, and said,"You mean you want the epidural?", I said,"Absolutely, bring it on!" She laughed and said that she would be back in a few minutes with the anaesthesiologist.
As Nurse C. left the room the door opened just in time to here the lullaby playing again. It wasn't funny anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment