Wednesday, January 20, 2010

My Obsession

My daughter is very underweight. When I say very underweight I am talking off the charts small. She is currently twenty-one months old,and she is tipping the scales at a shocking nineteen pounds. You might be wondering what percentile she is in. Well the title of this blog gives the answer. She is below the first percentile. She has fallen off of the charts. She is in a strange no baby's land. I think of it this way if you were to line up one hundred twenty-one month old children all of them would weigh more than my child, and ninety-eight of them would be taller.
She has spent a good deal of her life in doctors offices being weighed. As her new doctor said,"I have never seen a chart this big for such a healthy small child. The chart weighs more than kid!" And as the title of this post suggests I am completely obsessed with her weight problem. It consumes me. Some days I sit and think of ways to increase the quantity of food, or the caloric content of the food. In the grocery store I check every label, but instead of choosing the items lowest in calories, I find the ones highest. I have feeding charts that look like they were put together by a mad scientist. I count every ounce of milk that enters her body. Still she remains off the charts.
So I am writing this blog in an attempt to find other mothers like me. To find out if anyone knows any tricks, or tips(that I haven't already tried). If anyone else has been plagued by this problem, and made it to the other side(by which I mean that glorious first percentile) with their sanity still in tact!

No comments:

Post a Comment