Friday, January 22, 2010

My Life as a Very Pregnant Woman

Yes, I was now wearing maternity clothing. Things were beginning to feel very real. I would be a mother soon. I felt what every mother feels. I was very excited, and scared all rolled up in the same moment. Now things started moving rapidly.
In the thirty-fifth week as my doctor was measuring my stomach, she said that we needed to schedule an ultrasound. She said the babies heart beat was strong, but she didn't seem to be growing as fast as she should. She said that at my next appointment we would take some more accurate measurements with the ultrasound, and then decide if they needed to start me early. I was nervous, but I trusted my doctor, and knew I would take her advice. Over the next week my husband and I did everything we could think of to make sure the house was ready for the baby, because she would be coming home very, very soon.
At the appointment we learned that the baby was in fact growing normally. She was fine, she was perfect. We were relieved, but a little sad that we would have to wait at least four more weeks before we would meet our little one.
Those last few weeks seemed to drag by very slowly. each appointment I would ask, "Am I even close?" My doctor would say no. I was getting really apprehensive.
Then my due date arrived. This had to be it! But no, I was wrong once again. The next day, day one as I thought of it, came and went. Followed by day two, nothing. I was beginning to wonder if I was really going to have a baby. Then came day three. A strange feeling woke me at 7:30 on a beautiful sunny Saturday morning. I knew immediately this was a contraction, and this was not false labor. This was happening. My stomach became rock hard, and turned into a tight square block of baby. I woke my husband and told him that I just had a contraction, and I thought it was real. He excitedly asked me what to do. I told him to go back to sleep, and I would wake him as soon as I had another one.
My next contraction started two hours later. The next one came two hours after that. Then one hour apart. Our families lived two hours away from us so we called our mothers to tell them that the baby was coming. This was my mothers first grandchild, she already had her things packed, and left as soon as we got off the phone. My husband has five nieces, and three nephews, so his parents knew a little bit more about these things. They calmly asked my husband to call as soon as the contractions were thirty minutes apart.
The contractions continued at one hour intervals, and my mother was there within two contractions, so she was off and running, but they were still no closer.
We talked, and went for walks, pretty soon it was 6:00 P.M.. I was starving. We got take out from one of our favorite hamburger places. It was small and locally owned, and I felt that I deserved to indulge this one last craving. I had a bacon cheese burger, with onion rings, and a chocolate milk shake.
After dinner the contractions began to get a little closer together, and by 8:00 P.M. they were coming every thirty minutes. My husband called his parents. They said they had a few things they wanted to take care of, and they would be on their way. They asked my husband to call when the contractions were fifteen minutes apart.
My contractions continued slow and steady, but they were getting closer, and at 11:30P.M. We left our home, and headed for the hospital. My husband called his parents to tell them that the contractions where fifteen minutes apart. They were on the road, and about forty-five minutes from the hospital. The song on the radio was Alanis Morissette, I forget the name, but never the words, "What it all boils down to is that everything is gonna be fine, fine, fine, cause I've got one hand in my pocket, and the other ones giving a peace sign...." How very appropriate.

No comments:

Post a Comment