Monday, January 25, 2010

My Last Lucid Hours as a Very Pregnant Woman

When we pulled into the hospital parking lot the clock in the car read 11:50 P.M. This was the last time I would be aware of time existing until we were moved into the recovery room. Although there were clocks everywhere my mind seemed to be stuck on Saturday, April 26, 2008, 11:50 P.M.
Since it was after hours, we entered through the emergency entrance, as we had been instructed during our preregistration, and tour a few months earlier.
We were waiting at the registration desk, when we met my nurse for the evening. Her name was Serenity. Isn't that the perfect name for a nurse who cares for women in labor? She led us to a small room, and then took some measurements. Still not much progress.
Serenity suggested that we take a walk around the hospital while we waited to find the bathrooms, and cafeteria, and she would take more measurements in an hour. If I was progressing by that time, I would be moved into a birthing room.
We found the cafeteria, and my husband, and mother, got a few snacks. I got some water, and while they eat I did laps around the cafeteria. Soon we heard the voices of my in-laws. They made it. I could tell that my husband was very happy to see them. Soon it was time for me to go back for more measurements. After these measurements, Serenity called my doctor, and then I was able to move into the birthing room.
My husband asked if the new deluxe room was available. It was. I was so excited. I would get the room with the private jacuzzi that I could use at anytime. Then my husband asked if there were any other women in labor. There were two other women who were getting close. They told us that we would know when they had their babies, because every time a baby is born, the hospital played a lullaby over the intercom.
We got settled into the room. I headed straight for the jacuzzi. Everyone was talking loudly in the other room, and I decided that in order to keep myself calm, and maintain my own sanity, I would have to go through with the silent birth I had planned.
I feel that I need to clarify. I did not expect everyone in the room to be silent. I was going to be silent, at least during contractions, and during the active part of labor. I was going to need every last bit of strength I had. I saw no need to waist energy talking, or screaming.
As I sat there in the wonderful warm water, I began to notice that the contractions were beginning to be somewhat painful. At the beginning of each contraction it felt like a martial arts expert was kicking me in my lower back as hard as they could. Every fifteen minutes, another kick in my lower back. I began to get restless, I needed to move.
When I walked back into the delivery room, my husband was relaxing in my bed. This was no trouble because I wouldn't be needing it for a while. My mother and I took a walk. As we were strolling through the halls we heard a woman screaming in pain. I felt a sudden thrill of panic shoot up my spine. I reminded myself that above all I must remain calm and focused. Once I calmed down a little I realized that it was just another contraction. Then as we walked by another room, and we heard the cry of a new born baby. The lullaby began to play over the intercom. Walking down this hall felt like walking into my own future.
We went back to the room. I spent some time on the birthing ball. The nurses took measurements every so often, and I was still not very far along, but the pain from the contractions was really beginning to bother me, and the breaks in between each contraction were still getting closer, and closer. I needed something for the pain, but I was still not willing to consent to the epidural. I didn't like the thought of being immobile. Then we heard the lullaby again. I thought to myself I am next. The two women who had arrived before me had their babies, and I would be next. I was wrong.

2 comments:

  1. Kaysie, I am loving this blog!!!! Keep it up! I have already heard the story and I am on the edge of my seat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hillary, I'm glad you like it. I am enjoying writing it, and I am so glad that a few people are reading it. And, as always your encouragement will keep me going. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete